Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Kindness of Strangers

At our last trip to the park, some men were practicing with their sons on the neighboring baseball diamond.  Ky ran to say hello as they were packing up to leave, and asked "Can I play? I love baseball!"  Even though it was obvious they were on their way elsewhere, they stopped and offered to pitch a few to Ky.  They even dug around for an old bat that the boys had outgrown, and Ky was able to actually get off two hits out of the several pitches!  As he rounded the bases, the two fathers and three teen and preteen age boys cheered him on, and I'm positive the smile on his face couldn't have been any bigger!  But it did widen just a tad when they met him with high fives and let him keep the ball!  He was so thrilled and has been showing off his new baseball and telling his story for days. 
I'm sure the men and their sons haven't thought of this meeting since, but Ky and I have; it definitely warms my heart to know there's people in this world willing to take a few minutes to make a five year old's entire week!

No comments:

Post a Comment